These events in Delhi NCR are all about story telling, history walks and trips to haunted places. Also lined up is an event that takes you to pre-historic site in Delhi
If you are a history fan and want to know more about the 100, 000-year-old past of Delhi, then you have come to the right destination. We promise that after attending these events, you will come back for more such interesting stories.
Over the past few months, India Travel Blog has escorted many travelers from abroad in history walks and various events.Some of them are featured above and sure, they look happy and excited.
If you are planning to travel to India shortly, don’t miss these events in Delhi NCR this week.
Red Fort Stories- of Badshahs and their Concubines
One of the events in Delhi NCR is about the fantastic stories of the Mughal dynasty that ruled Delhi. This event will cover the following sessions:
- The Mughal Harem- what was it like. A harem is a place where all the ladies used to live together.
- The status of the Mughal women in the Harem; were they sex slaves or normal humans?
- Famous Four- Noorjahan, Mumtaz, Jahanara, and Roshanara- their lives, and loves
- Father and Son- The Jahangir/ Akbar and Jahangir/ Khurram conflicts
- The tragedy of being a mom- Manbai and her times
- Did Jodhabai really exist? If yes, what was her real entity?
- The tragic story of Khusro, the grandson of Akbar who would never be the Mughal Emperor
- Castrated, but powerful enough- The Nazirs of the Mughal Harem. The harem was guarded by eunuchs, did you know that?
- The Princess who held her own Litfests in the Red Fort !who was she?
- Malls of Lust- The Meena Bazaar Tales
- Roll Call- All stand-up! The Dewan-e-Aam Spectacle.
Of course, we shall go around the Red Fort premises and share all the above hauntingly beautiful stories among ourselves.
We will also go to the ancient Salimgarh Fort which was the imperial jail for the Mughals.
Do you know that the spirit of a long dead Mughal princess roams around in this prison?Who is she?
Venue- Red Fort Ticket Counter
Dates- July 15,17,19,21,23,25,27, 29, 31
Time- 9 AM-12PM.
Time of Assembly- 8.45 AM
Price- Rs. 1,200 per adult. Kids below 10 years will not be charged. Please note that this price includes snacks (tea/coffee/samosa/ cold drink).
Snacks shall be provided by me.
Kindly buy the ticket to the monument by yourself.
The Angrez, The Sultan, and The Pigs
One of the events in Delhi NCR this week happens in the Mehrauli Archeological Park.
Do you know that this Park has monuments which are thousands of years old?
We cover the following destinations on this trip:
- Visiting the haunted palace of Sultan Balban and listening to his fantastic story
- Balban and his relationship with his masters and subjects.
- The concept of Sultanate and its relationship with the Caliph of Baghdad and Turkey
- The origin of the Slave dynasty in Delhi
- Who were the Tomars and why did they lose to the Turks?
- Did Prithviraj Chauhan really rule Delhi?
- Yoginipura, Mehrauli, and Delhi- exploring the relationship between these three settlements
- The arrival of the East India Company
- The colorful character of Mr. Thomas Metcalfe, his lives and times
- Fact and Fiction- the ‘haunted’ tomb of Jamali. But who was Kamali?
- The ancient water ‘cafes’ of Delhi-why were they made?
- Stories of Jealousy- the Adham Khan affair
And yes, like all the other events in Delhi NCR, this one too will involve a lot of walking, climbing etc so please wear hiking boots or sports shoes.
Venue- Mehrauli Archeological Park, Delhi (Near Qutub Minar)
Point of Assembly- Qutub Minar Metro Station
Time of Assembly- 8.45 AM
Dates-July-2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30.
Price- Rs. 1,200 per adult. Kids below 10 years come free. Please note that this price includes snacks (tea/coffee/samosa/ cold drink). Snacks shall be provided by me.
Entry to this monument is free.
The Palace of the Dead
This event will take you to Humayun Tomb, one of the most beautiful structures in Delhi. The event details are:
- The start of the Mughal dynasty in India
- Babur and Humayun- a study in contrast
- Gulbadan Begum and her times
- Humayun and his harem
- The Shah of Iran meets Humayun what happens next?
- Hamida or Baga- who commissioned Humayun Tomb?
- Is Humayun really buried here? Controversies and more controversies
- The mystery behind the Barber’s Tomb
- The concept of milk brothers or kokas.
- The concept of Badshahat and how different is it from Sultanate
- Dara.O Dara!
- This King had 700 wivees, who was he?
Venue- Humayun Tomb Ticket Counter
If you want to read more on Humayun and his times, please click here: http://asi.nic.in/asi_monu_whs_humayuntomb.asp
How to reach Humayun’s Tomb- The nearest Metro Station is that of Lajpat Nagar. From there, take an autorickshaw or Uber.
Time of Assembly 3.45 PM
Duration- 2 hours, 4-6 PM
Dates- July- 2,4,6,8,10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20
Price Rs. 1,200 per adult. Kids below 10 years come free. Please note that this price includes snacks (tea/coffee/samosa/ cold drink). Snacks shall be provided by me.
Kindly buy the ticket to the monument by yourself.
2-day trip to Bhangarh Fort
If you like visiting haunted destinations, then this event is for you.
We go on a 2-day trip to the haunted fort of Bhangarh in Alwar.
Bhangarh is a medieval era fort and is a very interesting place for people interested in spirits and ghosts. Locals say that there are many spirits which live inside this fort. Would you like to interact with them?
Of course, we will not stay within the fort. Our stay will be at a hotel nearby.
The duration of the trip is just 3 hours from Delhi.
Date of the event- July 29, 2017- July 30, 2017
Start time- 7 am July 29. Finish time- 10 pm, July 30.
Charges per head- Rs. 5,000 per head. This figure includes cost of travel, and hotel stay.
mportant notice for all those attending these events in Delhi NCR
Kindly note: You can make payment in cash or through PayPal.
My e-mail id is; firstname.lastname@example.org
I would urge you to check out my Facebook Page to know about my other events and notes:
You may also look up my Twitter profile: www.twitter.com/swayamt
Other events in Delhi NCR
- 2 Shades of Life, Alliance Francaise, Lodhi Estate. This Hindi play is about 6 Indians who steal a valuable piece of art in Antigua.By the time when they return to their hideout, the painting is gone. What happened to the painting? Date- July 15. Time- 6. 15 pm. Tickets- Rs. 100/-
- Love ka Overdose, Hindi Comedy, Sri Ram Centre, Safdar Hashmi Marg. Adam and Eve start their journey, not from Eden but Haryana. What happens next? Date- July 14, Time- 7 pm. Tickets- Rs. 500/200
- Bali ( Hindi Drama), LTG Auditorium, Copernicus Marg. Written by Girish Karnad, this Hindi play tries to explore te connection between violence and religion. Date- July 16, Time- 4 pm. Tickets- Rs. 500/ 100
- Baap re Baap ( Hindi comedy), Alliance Francaise. Things get funny when Babu Banarasidas goes missing from his house one fine day. Director- Amar Sah. Date- July 15. Time- 6 pm. Tickets-Rs. 500-200
- The Cabuliwala ( English drama), Akshara theater, Baba Kharak Singh Marg. This play is an adaptation of Rabindra Nath Tagore’s Kabuliwala which tells the story of the friendship between 5-year old Mini and Rehman, a much older man from Afghanistan.Tickets- Rs. 250/ 150
- Broadcast at Oddbird Theater, 100 feet road, Dhan Mill Compound, Chhattarpur. This event will broadcast the happenings around Partition. It will be a spinechiiling event as all these broadcasts actually happened in 1947. Relive the days of the Partition. Date- July 14-16. Time- 10 pm. Tickets- Rs. 500
- Hamlet (Hindi), Shri Ram Centre, Safdar Hashmi Marg, Mandi House. This play is a part of the Summer Theater Festival. Director- K. Madavane. Date- June 23. Time- 7 pm.
- Deewangee( Hindi thriller), Alliance Francaise, Lodhi Road. A young businessman is introduced to a popular singer, Sargam by a music magnate, Ashwin. The next day, Ashwin is found murdered in his house. Whodunit? Director- SP Singh Sengar. Date- June 25. Time- 7 pm. Tickets- Rs. 300/-
- Bharat Mata ki Jai ( Hindi drama), India Habitat Center, Lodhi Road. Who is Bharat Mata- this was one of the top concerns of the noted filmmaker, Khwaja Ahmed Abbas. Watch this drama and get the answer to this question yourself. Director- Lokesh Jain. Date- June 25, Time- 7.30 pm. Tickets- Rs. 500/350/200
- Log Baag ( Hindi drama), IHC, Lodi Road. A delightful play comprising 8 stories of Chekov, all woven together, this play is a must watch. Director- Arvind Gaur. Date- June 24. Time- 7.30 pm. Tickets- Rs. 100/-
- Hello Darling (Hindi comedy), Mavlankar Auditorium, Sansad Marg. This one is a laugh riot where a couple is trying to outsmart each other with the help of a maid. Director-Yogesh Sanghvi. Date- June 25. Time-7.30 pm. Tickets- Rs. 2500-250/-
- Dayashankar Ki Diary ( Hindi drama), Alliance Francaise, Lodhi Estate. Dayashankar, a small town simpleton, tries to carve out a living in Mumbai. Director- Krishna Kant. Date-June 25. Time- 5pm.Tickets- Rs. 300/-
- Baap re Baap ( Hindi comedy), Alliance Francaise. Things get funny when Babu Banarasidas goes missing from his house one fine day. Director- Amar Sah. Date- June 24. Time- 6 pm. Tickets-Rs. 300/-
- Chhutti (Hindi comedy), The Stein Audi, IHC, Lodhi Road. A story within a story within a story within a story; this play is all about intermingling stories. Director- Ashish Ghosh. Date- June 24, Time- 7.30 pm. Tickets-Rs. 500/200-
If you are a movie fan, then these events in Delhi NCR are all about movies.
- The Darwin Puzzle– IHC, Lodhi Road. Based on the life of Charles Darwin, this play is directed by Radhika Chandrashekhar. Date-June 29. Time- 7 pm.
- Plastic Cow- Gulmohar Hall, IHC, Lodhi Road. Even cows are getting affected by plastic and how? Director- Kunal Vohra. Date- June 23. Time- 7 pm.
- History of Yoga- Indira Gandhi National Centre for Arts, Janpath. This film explores the 6,000-year old history. It also understands its significance in Harappa Civilization, Vedic age, and the medieval history of India. Directors- Deepika and Ramji. Date- June 23. Time- 5.30 pm.
- 23-F (Spanish with English sub-titles), Instituto Cervantes, Hanuman Road, near Connaught Place. This movie is a docu-drama about the failed coup that nearly brought the fledgling Spanish democracy down. Date- June 25. Time- 4.30 pm.
I shall update you on more events in Delhi NCR shortly. Hope you enjoy the above-listed ones.
Important links for booking your tickets:
- Alliance Francaise- delhi.afindia.org
- India Habitat Centre- indiahabitat.org
- Shriram Bhartiya Kala Kendra- thekendra.com
- Akshara Theatre, New Delhi- https://www.facebook.com/AksharaTheatreNewDelhi
Events in Delhi NCR that have expired
- Opera at Habitat Series-Saint Saens’Samson et Dalila ( French with English subtitles), IHC, Lodhi Road. Date- June 12. Time- 7 pm.
- Berthe Morisot- (French with English subtitles), ML Bhartia Audi, Alliance Francaise, Lodhi Estate. Date- June 15. Times- 6.30 pm. Director- Caroline Champetier
- The Distinguished Citizen (Spanish), IHC, Lodhi Road. Date- June 14. Time- 7 pm. Directors- Gaston Duprat, Mariano Cohn
- European Union Film Festival 2017, Siri Fort Auditorium 2, Siri Institutional Area, Asian Games Complex. Date- June 9-15. Entry on First Come First Served Basis.
1.Chandragupta– Hindi Drama, Shriram Center, Safdar Hashmi Marg
Directed by Varun Sharma, this play takes you through the lives and times of Chandragupta Maurya. If you have youngsters at home, then take them to this historical play and introduce them to India’s glorious past.
Tickets- Rs. 150/300. Date- June, 2. Time- 7 pm.
- Big B- Hindi Drama, Shriram Center, Safdar Hashmi Marg
This play is about two English-educated brothers, who speak in Hindi. Kamta Prasad and Samta Prasad have opinions on almost every subject under the sun whether it is politics, cricket, Bollywood or even gulli-danda. Directed by Dr. M. Sayeed Alam and Niti Phool, this play is a laugh riot.
Tickets- Rs. 300-500. Date-June, 3, Time- 7.30 pm.
Entry is free. Date- June 3 and 4. Time- 7 pm.
- Kauwa Chala Hans Ki Chaal- Hindi Drama, Muktadhara Auditorium, Bhai Veer Singh Marg, Gole Market
Jamrood Singh wins Rs. 100 crores in a contest and now wants to become Raja Jamrood Singh Kunwar. He wants to lead a good life and starts copying the other rich people around him. What happens next? This play is directed bu Shyam Kumar and will leave you in splits.
Entry free. Date- June 7, Time- 7 pm.
- Yeh Kotheywaliyan- Hindi Drama, Alliance Francaise, Lodhi Road
It is so easy to cast aspersions on ‘women of easy virtue’. This play, directed by Rajesh Tiwari, explores our hypocrisy towards prostitutes and courtesans.
Tickets- Rs. 300-500. Date- June 3, Time- 6.30 pm
Music and Dance
1.Dance Recital- IHC, Lodhi Road
Bharatnatyam dance performance by Divya Shiva Sundar. She will perform traditional Margam in Shringara rasa.
Date- June, 8. Time- 7 pm.
- Duet Music Performance, IHC, Lodhi Road
Hindustani classical music performance by Dhiman Chowdhury and sarod player, Mohit Pal.
Date- June 6, Time- 7 pm
3. Kuchipudi- Stein Auditorium, IHC
‘Storytelling through Kuchipudi’- a performance by Yamini Reddy
Date- June 9, Time- 7 pm
Please make the payments for the music and dance events at the respective venues, I am not collecting them on their behalf.
Do you have information on any other events in Delhi NCR this week?Please write back to me and I shall surely list your event here.
Thank you, folks, hope to see you one of these days.